The Monterey Bay Aquarium Shelf to Shore Program was created for families who otherwise cannot afford to visit the Aquarium.
Eligible adults (18 years of age and older) can receive one free pass to the Aquarium per program year from the Monterey or Pacific Grove Public Library. One pass admits up to six (6) family members for a one-time visit.
For free admission to the Aquarium, you must present the ticket with your matching library card at the Aquarium's Main Entrance.
More information about this program may be found here.
Who is Eligible?
You can get a Shelf to Shore Aquarium pass if you:
- Are 18 years old or older.
- Are a resident of the City of Monterey or the City of Pacific Grove.
- Have a valid Monterey or Pacific Grove Public Library card.
- Qualify for Free School Lunch, WIC, SNAP, Meals on Wheels, Medi-Cal, Healthy Families, Healthy Kids, or other similar services.
If you are NOT eligible, you can still:
- Visit during the annual Community Open House, the first full week of December every year. For all residents, regardless of income, from the Tri-County region (Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito).
- Consider Membership in the aquarium.
- Take advantage of the new Locals Programs with special pricing on admission for locals. For more information, please visit www.montereybayaquarium.org/visit/hours-and-tickets/locals-only.
How Do I Get a Pass?
Bring your library card to the Library and request an aquarium Shelf to Shore pass from the Library Help Desk. Each pass admits up to six family members for a visit. You can get one pass per year per adult library card holder.
When can I Use the Shelf to Shore Pass?
The Shelf to Shore program runs from the day after Labor Day through the Friday before Memorial Day.
Currently, a pass is valid from September 4, 2018 through May 24, 2019 and cannot be used on the following dates:
- November 10-12, 2018
- November 22-25, 2018
- December 1-9, 2018
- December 25-31, 2018
- January 1, 2019
- January 19-21, 2019
- February 16-18, 2018
- April 13-28, 2019