Welcome to the Planning Office, a division of the Community Development Department. Planning staff is committed to excellent customer service. Our goal is to make information accessible to the public and to make our permitting process as user-friendly as possible. We focus our priorities on projects that will achieve the City Council-adopted Vision, Value Drivers and Strategic Initiatives. Planning staff is constantly developing and sharpening a variety of planning tools to help clarify land use regulations, stimulate economic development, and ensure preservation of the City's neighborhood character and historic resources. If you want more information, please give us a call.
Please see the Topics in Focus and Current Initiatives web pages for the latest projects in the queue. Many of these topics link to our engagement portal, Have Your Say Monterey, so you can participate in the process! Thank you for your interest and your engagement to help us continue to improve the quality of life in Monterey!
Latest Planning News
- NEW 2101 North Fremont Street Hotel Project; responses accepted through August 21, 2023
- Final Environmental Impact Report - Posted November 17, 2023
- Appendices - Posted November 17, 2023
- Notice of Availability of a Draft Environmental Impact Report - Posted July 7, 2023
- Draft Environmental Impact Report - Posted July 7, 2023
- U-Haul U-Box Storage Facility Project
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) - For Public Review through 30 min prior to the Sep 19 City Council Meeting
- Rental Inventory - see https://haveyoursaymonterey.org/rentalinventory
- Monterey 2031 - Major Milestone Met - Draft Housing Element Submitted to the State, 27 Sep 2023
- see https://haveyoursaymonterey.org/monterey2031
- Laguna Grande Trail and Vegetation Maintenance Strategy; responses accepted through February 17, 2023
- see https://haveyoursaymonterey.org/laguna-grande-park-plan
- North Fremont Street Sidewalk Gap Closure Project; responses accepted through January 23, 2023
- see https://haveyoursaymonterey.org/north-fremont-street-transportation-corridor
- Local Coastal Program
- Free 2-Gallon Household Composting Pails Available for Pickup!
- Please pick up yours at 570 Pacific Street
- Open Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, closed for lunch 12-1pm
- Wireless Applications in Progress
- Please join us for an opportunity to review the draft Monterey Regional Compatible Use Study
- The public is invited to attend and provide input regarding the Monterey Regional Compatible Use Study. The purpose of the Compatible Use Study is to identify and assess compatibility issues between military facilities in our City and County. Public input may be submitted live at each meeting or through the website noted below until November 30, 2022.
- PUBLIC COMMENTS AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE STUDY:
- NORTH COUNTY DISCUSSION RECORDINGS:
SOUTH COUNTY DISCUSSION RECORDINGS: