Construction this Week
WEEK BEGINNING FEBRUARY 6, 2023 - PLEASE NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
- Monterey Navy Base Force Protection Exercise may impact traffic near NPS - Naval Support Activity, Feb. 6 - 17 - For up-to-date information about potential impacts due to the exercise, please follow NSA Facebook page. For more information, contact NSAM Public Affairs Officer John Hoellwarth at (831) 656-6233 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Not a City Project)
- CalTrans update (Not a City Project) - Highway 1: Munras Avenue: February 7
One lane closure will occur along northbound Highway 1 at Munras Avenue for guardrail repair work from 11 am to 2 pm.
Highway 1: Aguajito Road: February 7
One lane closure will occur along northbound Highway 1 at Aguajito Road for guardrail repair work from 8:30 am to 11 pm.
Highway 1: Casa Verde Way: February 8
One lane closure will occur along northbound Highway 1 at Casa Verde Way for guardrail repair work from 8:20 to 1 pm.
- Waterfront Lot Phase 2, Marina Parking Lot Improvement Project – Three week schedule | Map of Work Area | Read notice | Map of pedestrian detour
Current Work - We completed the required demolition and are currently working on the concrete pedestrian crossing at Washington St. and Del Monte. Concrete will be poured next week, then cure time, prior to scheduling asphalt removal and replacement. We added additional signs along Del Monte that read the following: "Wharf parking next right". Encouraging people to use Figueroa. "Business open during Construction"
Upcoming Work - We started demolition of sidewalk between the Marina Lot and the Waterfront lot. The Boat ramp is on schedule to get removed and replaced starting Monday Jan. 30, 2023. In addition to the boat tramp construction we will start drilling for foundations and trenching for future lighting. Following the completion of the Washington Entrance we will start work on the new realigned exit lanes. This work is tentatively scheduled to start the week of Feb. 13.
- CalAm Water Main Replacement Project, Palo Verde Avenue, Helvic Avenue, and the alley connecting Helvic Avenue to Encina Avenue - Oct - Feb 2023 - see schedule | see letter from CalAm to affected neighbors (Not a City Project)
- G&E Monterey Substation Electrical Equipment Upgrade – Fact Sheet - PG&E is working to upgrader their electrical equipment at the Monterey Substation (498 Del Monte Avenue - just across from the Harbor) running from mid-August to December 2022 to excavate and backfill soils in preparation for a state-of-the-art substation installation between January 2023 and mid-2024. During the excavation and backfilling, PG&E will have an average of 30 trucks entering and exiting the substation Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, as well as some weekends. They will be on-site to direct pedestrian and vehicle traffic around the substation. (Not a City Project)
- Citywide Road Resurfacing Phase 4 – Schedule TBD. This is resurfacing, not reconstruction, a decision based on the specific street segment need. Phase 4 will lay rubberized chip seal in the following locations: Munras Avenue from Soledad to Fremont Street, including the segment of Abrego from El Dorado to Fremont; Fremont Street from Abrego to Camino Aguajito; Camino Aguajito from Fremont Street to Mark Thomas Drive.
- Citywide Sidewalk Repair Project Phase 7 – Schedule TBD. We will post the specific schedule once it gets finalized.
Q&A - HAVE A PUBLIC WORKS CONSTRUCTION-RELATED QUESTION? EMAIL SUGGEST@MONTEREY.ORG
Question: How do I report a raised sidewalk that has a potential to cause a tripping hazard?
Answer: If the uplift is caused by a city tree the city will fix it, otherwise it might be on the responsibility of the property owner or a utility company to address the issue. Typically, a Public Works crew will go out to identify the uplift, measure the uplift, paint the uplift and take pictures. We keep a log and send the appropriate party a letter to address the issue.