Building & Safety
Permit Applications - Complete applications may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be contacted with fee payment information.
- Building Permit Application - Use this form for re-roofs, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, solar PV systems, temporary tent structures, and all other building projects, residential and commercial, small and large.
- Encroachment Permit Application - (online-fillable PDF) formerly called Public Works Permit Application - Use this form for work being conducted in the right of way, both temporary and permanent, for sewer line replacements, driveways, retaining walls, sidewalks, outdoor dining (downtown), scaffolding, and other similar activities. Also see applicable Fire Prevention guidelines - see the Ordinances and Regulations on the Monterey Fire Prevention
- Residential Property Inspection Application
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral Inspection Form (in PDF - must be completed by a licensed plumbing contractor)
- Graywater Irrigation System Permit Application
We are paperless
The Building & Safety Division is paperless. That means that all submittals and business services can be done via email. We do have a window open (appointment only) between 7 am -4 pm, (closed on Wednesdays from 1-2). We issue simple over-the-counter permits or answer questions.
Find out if you have a sewer lateral line and a backwater valve on your property
Raw sewage. Have you ever had it come out of your toilets, shower stalls or sinks? Though rare, some residents have experienced such unfortunate events. While the City has an aggressive maintenance program that includes cleaning and inspecting sewer mains, it is still possible that a City sewer main can plug up and lead to sewage flooding. However, by installing sewer laterals and release valves (SRV and BWV) on at-risk properties, owners can minimize their exposure to such an incident. Find out more information in this guide. Also see the MRWMD Shared Responsibility Flyer.
Sewer Lateral and Backwater Valve Lookup
Backwater Valve Brochure
Check the box when you look up an address in the Property Review portal:
Sanitary Sewer Lateral Inspection Program
see details on the Property Inspections web page
As of January 1, 2019, in accordance with the Monterey City Code 30-1.2 (Ordinance 3579), the City of Monterey began implementing a mandatory "Sanitary Sewer Lateral Inspection and Repair Program". The new program updates the process and uses a new form. The new form replaces the previously accepted "Plumber's report" regarding the condition of the sewer lateral, backwater valve, and sewer relief vent. See page 13 of the Master Fee Schedule for the cost of this permit.