Special event recycling
Adding recycling infrastructure to your event not only helps divert waste from the landfill, but can also save money on your waste costs since there is no fee for recycling in the City of Monterey. If you are coordinating a special event of 50+ people, call us and we can provide you with FREE waste reduction information and FREE containers suitable for recycling at your event.
Please be aware that while recycling is free, event coordinators must arrange for garbage collection with Monterey City Disposal Service (831-372-7977) for events that are large (100+ people), multi-day or held where there is not adequate existing garbage service. Events must also supply their own garbage containers that will be dispersed throughout the event, which are commercially available at many supply companies.
Please see Monterey City Code, Section 14-5 for all requirements pertaining to special events. City Code requirements include (but are not limited to):
- Supplying adequate containers to allow employees, contractors, customers and guests of the event to dispose of source separated organic materials - including food waste - in an organic materials container; source separated recyclable materials in a recyclable materials container; and solid waste in a solid waste container.
- Containers shall be of adequate size and number based on the quantities anticipated to be generated at the event.
- Containers shall be placed in groups of at least three - one of each type of container - to provide equally convenient access to users.
- Containers shall bear appropriate signage and be color coded to identify the type of discarded material to be deposited.
- Providing information or training for employers and contractors on how to properly source separate discarded materials.
- Complying with the environmentally acceptable food packaging and retail bag City Code regulations.
It is our goal to provide event assistance to produce less waste while maintaining the quality and feel of your event. If you are coordinating a special event in the City of Monterey and would like some assistance, contact us at (831) 242-8732 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also see Environmental Best Management Practices (BMPs)
32-GALLON BLUE BARRELS WITH LIDS
STAMPED WITH "WE RECYCLE"