Photo Contest 2017
Council Presentation on February 6, 2018
L to R: Organizer LHuelga; Sheldon Chang; Jared Apperson; Shirley Coly; Lillie Grossman; Brad Lewis; Photography Judge, Randy Tunnell
JUDGES - THANK YOU!
Vern Fisher, Director of Photography at the Monterey Herald
Liza Linsao works as an Executive Assistant in the City of Monterey Finance Department and has a photography business as well.
Randy Tunnell is a a local commercial photographer. He specializes in academia, politics, healthcare and portraiture for publications and web content.
This year's contest is now closed.
ENTER BY DECEMBER 31, 2017
Photographers of all ages are invited to enter their best, high resolution images celebrating our community in the City of Monterey Photography Contest, between July 4 and December 31, 2017. Entering is easy, free and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, contact Laurie Huelga, email@example.com or (831) 242-8750.
Subscribe to Photo Contest News and voting opportunities by signing up for the Monterey Photo Contest Newsletter.
Let's celebrate Monterey's beauty and community. All photos entered must be taken within Monterey city limits. Photos taken of locations outside the City of Monterey will be disqualified, as will low resolution images that cannot be well reproduced in printed materials.
There are two ways to win: (1) People's Choice by online votes; and (2) Judges' Choice by visual art professionals.
Voters and judges will select images that best depict Monterey in three categories. All contest entries are eligible to be featured in citywide publications of print and electronic media with photo credit. Please note that the photo contest coordinator may reassign some entries to a more appropriate category.
Capture Monterey’s beautiful landscapes and seascapes, historical and urban architecture, active people and vibrant community life. Submit your favorite photographs in these categories:
- Environment - sky, beach, mountain, park and wildlife
- Architecture - urban design, cityscapes, landmarks and infrastructure
- Culture & Community - people of all ages involved in sports, art activities and enjoying special events
Vote Online for the "People's Choice Awards" January 15 - 31, 2018
Contestants and members of the public are invited to cast their votes online to select the "People's Choice" awards for the City of Monterey Photo Contest in January 2018.
In submitting the attached photo(s) (PHOTO) to the City of Monterey (CITY) and participating in the City of Monterey Photo Contest I /we (CONTESTANT) hereby warrant and agree to the following:
- The PHOTO is the result of CONTESTANT'S sole artistic efforts unless otherwise stated above as collaboration.
- Except as otherwise disclosed in writing to CITY in this submittal form, the PHOTO is unique and original and does not infringe upon any copyright or patent.
- CONTESTANT warrants to CITY that he/she has lawful usage rights to the PHOTO; CONTESTANT will retain the copyright and all other rights in and to the PHOTO pursuant to 17 U.S.C. section 101, et. seq., except as otherwise stated herein.
- CONTESTANT grants to CITY an irrevocable, royalty-free non-exclusive worldwide license to reproduce, to distribute, and/or to display two- or three-dimensional reproductions of the PHOTO in any manner whatsoever relating to any CITY publication or event, including, without limitation: Public display as well as reproduction on CITY items, such as print ads, postcards, posters, brochures, applications, television programs and the City website.
- In addition, the CITY will include CONTESTANT'S name somewhere on the document where the photo is used.
- The CITY may alter images of the PHOTO as necessary to fit into reduced or enlarged format sizes.
- The CITY may use the PHOTO on CITY merchandise and commercial items, such as a calendar, which may be sold for fundraising purposes. CITY may also use the photograph on the internet and in social media.
- CITY may indefinitely retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the CITY’s photo library, which is accessible to CITY staff via the CITY’s online photo archive.
- Your digital signature is required to enter. Sign the agreement (PDF) of and send via email with your entries.
Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 106A(e) and only to the extent that this Agreement differs, CONTESTANT expressly waives any rights that the he/she may have under 17 U.S.C. §§ 101 et seq., including, without limitation, 17 U.S.C. §§ 106, 106A, and 113, or any successor statute(s) or regulation(s).
CONTESTANT agrees to release CITY, its agents, officials, employees, and volunteers from and against all liability, including copyright or patent infringement claims or causes of action, arising out of this Agreement and claims arising from CONTESTANT'S participation in the City of Monterey Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to defend (with counsel satisfactory to CITY), indemnify and hold City harmless and free from all liability, whether caused by negligence or otherwise, arising out of CONTESTANT'S participation or association with the City of Monterey Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to pay all costs incident to any claim, including, without limitation, attorneys' fees and consequential damages. I agree that the above information is correct. I further agree that this agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of California.
Eligible images from a digital camera or smart phone set at no less than 3 mega pixels high resolution or digitally scanned if from a non-digital camera must be in either JPG or PNG digital format at a file size of between 3 megabytes (minimum) and 9 megabytes (maximum) at 300 dpi (dots per inch) of sufficient resolution to print at 8 by 10 inch size without a loss of quality. Be sure to set your camera or smart phone settings at the highest possible resolution for best results. Be sure your email program is not set to reduce your attachments to a low resolution format.
Rename Your Files
File names generated by the digital camera or scan must be RENAMED as follows: enter number of category above (1-3), first and last name of contestant, and short title of photograph ending with "2017 photo contest". For instance, if Monte Ray entered an architectural shot of Fisherman’s Wharf, he would rename his photo entry:
- 2Monte-Ray-Fishermans-Wharf-2017-photo-contest.jpg –or–
- 2Monte-Ray-Fishermans-Wharf 2017-photo-contest.png
Submit Your Photos and Entry Agreement by Email
Entering is easy and free! Limit: up to 6 entries (emails) per contestant in any combination of categories. Send only one image file per email as an attachment (do not embed image files in the message area) and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line #photo contest entry#. Please note that some email programs are set to reduce file attachments to a low resolution format and need to be reset with submitting contest photos.
For each email the contestant must supply all the following information:
- On the email subject line: #photo contest entry#
- In the message area enter:
- First and last name of contestant
- Contact phone number
- Email address
- Select category by number (1-3) above
- Date and location where photo was taken
Thank you to summer intern, Eloise, for her graphics expertise and help in setting up this photo contest. Thank you also to the City of Ventura for your inspiration.