Here are a few things you should know if you are thinking about remodeling your home. The first step is to contact the Planning Division. Then, submit 4 sets of plans with a contractor's cost (valuation) of the job.

Plans should include the following general information:

  • Owner's name
  • Name of person responsible for drawings
  • Sheet index
  • Scope of work - Full description of what you are doing
  • Address of project - Where it is occurring
  • A site/plot map - building info, lot size, building sq. feet
  • How it will be built - see details list below
  • Green Building Schedule and Checklists


  • Two sets of the required plans must include a stamp and wet signature of architect and/or engineer of record
  • Two copies of Structural calculations and soils reports, if applicable
  • A foundation plan
  • Roof & floor framing plans
  • Construction cross-sections
  • Appropriate floor plans, including electrical plan
  • Minimum paper size is 11" X 17"
  • If you are adding floor area, 2 sets of energy calculations are required.
  • If your work costs $1,000.00 or more, battery operated smoke detectors are needed in halls and bedrooms.
  • If your work costs $1,000.00 or more, a carbon monoxide detector is required on each floor level.
  • Plans should be clear and legible, and drawn to scale.
  • You can draw the plans yourself or hire a contractor, building designer or architect.
If you have any questions call (831) 646-3890