580 Pacific St., Rm. 6
Monterey, CA 93940-2806

Phone: 831-646-3935
Fax: 831-646-3702


By Appointment Only
(Please call or email)

Understanding the Statement of Economic Interests / Form 700

No public official at any level of state or local government shall make, participate in making or in any way attempt to use his official position to influence a governmental decision in which he knows or has reason to know he has a financial interest.
California Government Code § 87100. Public Officials; State and Local.
What is the Form 700?  
The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) of the State of California requires designated individuals to disclose their economic interests within their jurisdiction by filing a Statement of Economic Interests (SEI), also known as the Form 700.  The Form 700 is used to determine what, if any, conflicts of interest the filer may have.  Once filed, the form becomes a public document.  


Who must file Form 700?  
The City of Monterey's Conflict of Interest Code, as adopted by City Council most recently via Resolution 18-164 C.S., defines and designates the individuals required to file the Form 700.  All elected officials, candidates for political office, boardmembers, commissioners, committee members, designated staff members, and certain consultants serving the City must file the form.  For more on the requirements for consultants, please read the section titled "Why do Consultants Need to File Form 700?" further down this page.


How do I file Form 700?  

You are encouraged to file the Form 700 electronically using the City's e-filing vendor, NetFile. Log in at

  • If you are new to NetFile, please click the "New User? Request a Password" link to create your account.
  • You will need to use the email address at which you received the notification email.
  • If you have an existing NetFile account with a different agency and would like to link your accounts, or otherwise need assistance, please call the City Clerk's office at (831) 646-3935 or email

If you prefer to file a paper form, the form and instructions are available at the FPPC's Form 700 page. "Wet" (original) signatures are required on paper forms. Please mail or hand-deliver to the City Clerk's Office at 580 Pacific St., Monterey, CA 93940.

Instructions are included for each page of both the NetFile electronic form and the FPPC PDF.

What must be disclosed?
On the various schedules, be sure to report all economic interests within the jurisdiction of the City of Monterey.

When is the Form 700 due?
The FPPC deadline for filing annual forms is April 1 in most years.  Assuming and leaving office forms must be filed within 30 days of assuming or leaving office.

How can I get help?
FPPC's Form 700 page has instructions, blank forms, a Form 700 Reference Pamphlet, fact sheets, etc.
  • The FPPC gives specific guidelines about reporting Gifts, Honoraria, Travel, or Loans.  There is also a new app offered by the FPPC that will track gifts received throughout the year.
  • Our office can assist with basic questions but cannot give legal advice, so if you have further questions about the form or filing requirements, please contact your legal counsel or take advantage of the FPPC's advice email service at or call their toll-free advice hotline at 1-866-ASK-FPPC (1-866-275-3772), open Mondays through Thursdays from 9:00am - 11:30am.

  • Why do consultants need to file the Form 700?

    The City of Monterey's Conflict of Interest Code, as adopted by City Council most recently via Resolution 18-164 C.S., defines and designates the individuals required to file the Form 700.   The definition of Disclosure Category I outlined in Exhibit A of the Conflict of Interest Code is:  "An appointed board, committee, or commission member or a designated City employee in this category must report investments, business positions, interests in real property, and sources of income, including gifts, loans, and travel payments from 3rd parties (not the City) within the City of Monterey's jurisdiction."  The resolution goes on to state: "Consultants shall be included in the list of designated employees and shall disclose pursuant to the broadest disclosure category in the code."

    In addition, many consultant contracts with the City have a Conflict of Interests clause that requires filing the Form 700.