The post, which has been known at various times as Fort Halleck, Ord Barracks, Monterey Barracks and Fort Stockton, was officially redesignated the Presidio of Monterey in 1904 in honor of the original Spanish fort.
From 1907 to 1913 the School of Musketry was operated on the post, forerunner of today's Infantry Center at Fort Benning, Georgia. Several units rotated through between 1902 and 1919. Between the two world wars the post was the home of the 11th Cavalry and the 2nd Battalion, 76th Field Artillery.
These units remained at the Presidio until 1940. In 1941, the Presidio of Monterey became a reception center for selectees, and for a while it housed III Corps headquarters. Declared inactive in 1944, the
post was reactivated in 1945. For a few months the post was a staging area for civil affairs personnel preparing for the occupation of Japan.
On June 19, 1946 the installation became home to the Military Intelligence Service Language School. It was redesignated the Army Language School in 1947. In 1963, the Department of Defense established a joint service Defense Language Institute
(DLI), headquartered in Washington, D.C. The Presidio of Monterey became the Defense Language Institute, West Coast Branch - the Presidio of Monterey, however, kept its name. In 1974 the DLI headquarters moved to the Presidio of Monterey. In 1976 the Defense Language Institute, West Coast
Branch became the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC), the Defense Department’s primary center for foreign language instruction.
For much of its history, DLIFLC was a tenant activity on the Presidio of Monterey. The Presidio itself was a subinstallation of the nearby Fort Ord. On October 1, 1994 this situation changed when Fort
Ord closed and the Presidio of Monterey became a separate installation again. Thus, DLIFLC became DLIFLC & POM.